I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders. I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy; I'm singing your song, High God. Psalm 9:1 (MSG)



Join the Laughter!

Thanks for joining our family blog! We hope that you are laughing and enjoying this life that God has given you.

Thursday, August 20, 2009


Ever been asleep, DEEPLY asleep, and then you were jolted awake by something that happened to you? Physically happened…out of the blue, obviously unexpected (you were asleep; what could be expected other than…nothing?), and completely out of the ordinary?
That happened last night, and I don’t believe even the person who woke me up knew what she was doing. Yes, I’m talking about Noelle, my beautiful wife.
Sometime after 3 this morning (I know that because I glanced at the clock just after it happened), the pillow I was laying on was suddenly JERKED from under my head, bringing me to full awake status in a moment’s time. Noelle had, for some reason, ripped it right out from me, not unlike someone ripping a tablecloth from under a full set of dishes and leaving them all intact. My head didn’t whip around or my body fall off the bed, it was that quick.
My first thought was that she had had enough. I had either been snoring or tossing too much and she was throwing my pillow off the bed and would demand that I follow it…to the couch, the front room…wherever, just out of the bedroom!
As I was waiting for some words to come forth out of the dark, my eyes adjusted to the low light and I noticed her wrapping her arm around the pillow, clutching it for…comfort, maybe?
How sweet! My wife wanted to snuggle with her husband’s pillow and think longingly of him and…EEEHHHHHH!!!! Wrong!
Noelle sleeps with a body pillow on occasion, and it was then I realized she was still asleep but her subconscious was looking for the big pillow and instead grabbed mine. At least that’s the story I’m sticking with, because the snoring or tossing (or even the argument we had earlier this week) might STILL have been her reasoning for violently waking me up, but…
After sitting up and waiting a few seconds to see if she said anything, I chuckled and reached to the floor to get another pillow for her to have (Yes, I had to have mine back. You silly people. It’s shape and size are the way I like a pillow to be…thin, not fluffy. Come on, I need my pillow back!).
I said, ‘Honey, here’s a pillow. You took mine’. She went, ‘huh?’, opened her arm for me to exchange the pillows, and went back to sleep…I guess. She probably started calling me names in her head for waking her up…thinking I need to be on the couch or the front room, etc.
Never a dull moment….

5 comments:

Massey Bunch said...

I posted this picture because Mark hates it...I thought that would be a good trade.
btw...I have no recollection of this 'pillow stealing'. After he woke me up I could not go back to soundly sleeping because I kept thinking, "how did I get his pillow?"

Unknown said...

It's great to know some things never change. Laughing with you today!

Laura Bolin said...

I kept waiting for some big life lesson to come from this story!!!!

Massey Bunch said...

Laura...I think the life lesson was between the lines...

fight earlier in the week...subconcious. He still hasn't apologized. Maybe that was it!

Karen said...

Mark you never cease to make me laugh. Thanks!